Irish Soda Bread is a rustic and hearty quick bread that’s a staple in Irish cuisine. It’s known for its simple ingredients and easy preparation. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the steps to create your own delicious Irish Soda Bread.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Dust a baking sheet with a bit of flour.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add Buttermilk: Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in most of the buttermilk. Reserve a little for adjusting the dough’s consistency.
- Knead the Dough: Using a wooden spoon or your hands, mix the ingredients until they come together to form a slightly sticky dough. If the dough is too dry, add the remaining buttermilk.
- Shape the Loaf: Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead it a few times to shape it into a round loaf. Avoid overworking the dough.
- Score the Dough: Use a sharp knife to make a deep “X” on top of the loaf. This helps the bread bake evenly.
- Bake: Place the shaped loaf on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C) and continue baking for another 25-30 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Cool: Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack. It’s best enjoyed slightly warm or at room temperature.
Tips for Perfect Irish Soda Bread:
- Traditional Irish Soda Bread is made with just four ingredients: flour, salt, baking soda, and buttermilk.
- Avoid overmixing the dough; a gentle hand is all it needs.
With this recipe, you can create rustic and hearty Irish Soda Bread that’s perfect for slicing and enjoying with butter, jam, or alongside your favorite Irish dishes. Enjoy its simplicity and comforting flavor!