Mexican tortillas are a staple in Mexican cuisine, used for making tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and various other dishes. Making homemade tortillas is surprisingly easy and allows you to enjoy their fresh and authentic taste. In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the steps to create your own delicious Mexican tortillas.
- 2 cups masa harina (corn flour)
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the Dough: In a mixing bowl, combine the masa harina and salt. Gradually add the warm water while mixing until a soft and pliable dough forms. Knead the dough for a few minutes until it’s smooth.
- Rest the Dough: Divide the dough into golf ball-sized portions and roll them into balls. Place them back in the bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let them rest for about 15-30 minutes. This allows the dough to relax and makes it easier to roll out.
- Preheat a Griddle or Skillet: Preheat a griddle or a large skillet over medium-high heat. You don’t need to add oil or grease to the pan.
- Shape the Tortillas: Take one of the dough balls and press it between your hands to form a thick disk. You can use a tortilla press or roll it out with a rolling pin between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper. Roll until the tortilla is about 6-8 inches in diameter and evenly thin.
- Cook the Tortillas: Carefully place the rolled-out tortilla onto the hot griddle or skillet. Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until the tortilla puffs up slightly and has browned spots.
- Stack and Keep Warm: As each tortilla is cooked, stack them on a clean kitchen towel and cover them to keep them warm and moist.
- Serve: Serve your homemade tortillas warm with your favorite fillings, such as grilled meats, beans, cheese, salsa, and guacamole.
Tips for Perfect Tortillas:
- Use masa harina specifically labeled for tortillas, as it’s made from corn that has been treated with lime.
- Keep the dough covered with a damp cloth or plastic wrap while working to prevent it from drying out.
- Don’t overcook the tortillas; they should remain soft and pliable.
With this recipe, you can create authentic Mexican tortillas that are perfect for assembling your favorite Mexican dishes. Enjoy the fresh, homemade taste and the satisfaction of making your own tortillas from scratch.